Mamelodi Sundowns News Today: International Cupido can deliver for Bafana, Masandawana fail to leave for Morocco & more

Published on by

Latest about Mamelodi Sundowns, in the last 24 hours, including why Hugo Broos has been urged to consider Keanu Cupido, Masandawana fail to leave for Morocco, and more.

Broos told to consider ‘international player’ Cupido

Mamelodi Sundowns coach Miguel Cardoso has made a bold Bafana Bafana statement regarding his defender, Keanu Cupido.

The 28-year-old has drawn immense praise recently for his stellar performances, with many calling for his national team selection ahead of the FIFA World Cup. 

“Cupido is an international player. He can play on Bafana Bafana any moment, he’s a fantastic player,” said Cardoso.

“But also, [Khulumani] Ndamane has been developing, showing the level that you praised already throughout the season, not me. Yourself, I’m picking your words. Grant [Kekana] is always a reliable player, we know.

“We have still Kegan [Johannes] that can play on that position. And Mali [Khoza], we should never forget, last year Mali was an important player for the campaign of both Champions League and Championship. So, we do really trust all those players.

Keanu Cupido, Mamelodi Sundowns vs Remo Stars
Keanu Cupido, Mamelodi Sundowns vs Remo Stars

“And unfortunately, Mali is not really still in the moment that he can be lined up or even called because for the first time today in the morning, he made 45 minutes game exposure in a friendly match in Chloorkop. 

“So, yeah, let’s see who is in the better conditions for us to put on the next match.”

Sundowns unable to depart for Morocco as planned

Mamelodi Sundowns‘ travel plans to Morocco have been thrown into disarray after the club was unable to depart from OR Tambo International Airport on Tuesday.

The Brazilians were scheduled to fly to Rabat ahead of their crucial CAF Champions League final second leg against ASFAR on Sunday, but complications relating to a landing permit in Morocco prevented their chartered flight from departing as planned.

After spending several hours at OR Tambo International Airport on Tuesday morning, Sundowns players and staff were forced to return home, with officials now working around the clock to ensure their chartered flight departs on Wednesday morning.

Mamelodi Sundowns coach Miguel Cardoso.
Mamelodi Sundowns coach Miguel Cardoso. Photo: Mamelodi Sundowns

The development has drawn allegations of gamesmanship directed at the Moroccans, as the delay means Downs will have less time to adjust to conditions in Rabat.

<!-- Author Start -->Willis Sob<!-- Author End -->

Willis Sob

Author

Willis Sob is an experienced journalist who has been in the game since 2009, covering major assignments around the continent.
His hunger for African football is unmatched, always getting the best angles and facts to feed the fans and quench their thirst.