Ngezana out of World Cup? Ex-Kaizer Chiefs defender insists ‘There is a misunderstanding’

Published on by

Former Kaizer Chiefs defender Siyabonga Ngezana has refuted claims he is out of the 2026 FIFA World Cup.

Recently, FCSB interim coach Lucian Filip stated the 28-year-old has been overlooked by Bafana Bafana coach Hugo Broos. It was a massive shock to some football-loving fans in Mzansi who felt Ngezana should have been included in the South Africa team.

Siyabonga Ngezana training. Photo SAFA edited
Siyabonga Ngezana training. Photo – SAFA

What Filip told the media

“He has to respect his club, because of the club he was in the national team’s attention,” Filip said as quoted by Antena Sports.

“[No. Siyabonga Ngezana was not called up to the World Cup], he is disappointed, but that’s life, football doesn’t end here. He has to respect his club, because of the club he was in the national team’s attention.

“I hope he will be present at the next Championship,” the tactician concluded.

Siyabonga Ngezana, FCSB - Image: FCSB
Siyabonga Ngezana, FCSB – Image: FCSB

Ngezana responds

The centre-back has now clarified the matter and insists there was miscommunication within the involved parties.

“There is a misunderstanding because my club didn’t receive the correct information,” he said in his interview with FARPost.

Siyabonga Ngezana vs Uganda
Siyabonga Ngezana, Bafana Bafana

“They thought coach Hugo Broos had already announced the Bafana Bafana squad for the World Cup.

“Just yesterday [Monday], the club management asked me when Broos would be announcing the squad. My coach said what he said to the media before the Bafana squad was even out because he simply didn’t know. He thought that when the media asked him about my Bafana prospects, the squad had already been named. It was all just a miscommunication.

“But all is good on my side. Yesterday I played the full 90 minutes with the team. I’m glad that I’m feeling good and fully fit to help the team. So, regarding my coach’s comments, it was just a misunderstanding,” Ngezana concluded.

Hugo broos will unveil his preliminary squad on Wednesday, May 27.

<!-- Author Start -->Willis Sob<!-- Author End -->

Willis Sob

Author

Willis Sob is an experienced journalist who has been in the game since 2009, covering major assignments around the continent.
His hunger for African football is unmatched, always getting the best angles and facts to feed the fans and quench their thirst.