Chairman of the National Sports Commission, Shehu Dikko, has said Nigeria’s Super Eagles could still return to the race for the 2026 FIFA World Cup if a pending case before FIFA is decided in the country’s favour, Afrik-Foot reports.
Nigeria’s football authorities submitted a petition challenging the eligibility of players used by DR Congo national football team during last November’s African play-off final.
Speaking after a meeting with President Bola Tinubu at the Presidential Villa, Dikko expressed confidence in Nigeria’s legal position while also stressing that long-term football development remains the priority.
He said: “Ourselves and the NFF submitted to FIFA, what we feel were the breaches against the rules and regulations, which is also part of sports, it’s not being sore losers, it’s just what it is. So, the relevant bodies of FIFA are dealing with it, and we are hoping, any moment, we will hear their decisions. But we are confident we have a good case. But I keep saying, we have put the World Cup behind us already. Whatever happens, it is what it is. But we are not looking at that, we are looking at how do you build for the next competitions, the next AFCON, the next WAFCON is next month?
🗣️ @ShehuDikko speaks on Nigeria’s hopes of FIFA World Cup qualification. pic.twitter.com/2NxaLLC52t
— National Sports Commission (@NatSportsComm) February 20, 2026
“You can see how we pushed the performance at the last AFCON in Morocco, everybody was happy about it. So World Cup is a closed chapter, but yes, we have a pending legal issue to deal with. It’s not within our competence to do, our own is to say this is what we feel was the wrong thing that was done, and we leave it.
“Even FIFA, it’s not the FIFA deciding, there are independent bodies in FIFA who are independent of FIFA; disciplinary committee, ethics committee, are independent bodies of FIFA, they make their decision based on what they see on the rules and they won’t tell you, we are doing it tomorrow or next tomorrow, when they finish, they will tell the world. But we are confident that, yes, if it is legal issues, we have a good case. That’s why we submitted the case.”
Nigeria, through the Nigeria Football Federation, is challenging events surrounding the play-off defeat that ended the Super Eagles’ qualification hopes.
/https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.afrik-foot.com%2Fen-ng%2F2026%2F02%2Fimago1071124916.jpg)
Super Eagles vs DR Congo: What the case is about and what could happen next
The dispute dates back to November 2025, when Nigeria lost 4–3 on penalties to DR Congo in the African play-off final for a place at the 2026 World Cup.
In December 2025, the NFF filed a formal complaint alleging that DR Congo fielded players who may not have been eligible under FIFA nationality rules. Nigeria argues that some players involved held dual nationality despite reports that DR Congo’s constitution does not recognise dual citizenship.
/https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.afrik-foot.com%2Fen-ng%2F2026%2F02%2Fimago1069386053.jpg)
Among the names mentioned in the complaint are Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Axel Tuanzebe, players Nigeria believe may not have fully met eligibility requirements following nationality switches.
Nigeria want FIFA to review the match result and possibly impose sanctions. Possible outcomes, if the petition succeeds, include forfeiture of the match, a 3–0 award to Nigeria, fines, or even disqualification; although such decisions are rare without strong evidence.
If FIFA rejects the protest, DR Congo’s victory will stand and Nigeria’s World Cup campaign will officially end.
Fans have been waiting for weeks after early reports suggested a decision would follow a FIFA meeting on Monday. However, no ruling has yet been released.
/https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.afrik-foot.com%2Fen-ng%2F2026%2F02%2Fimago1069380272-1.jpg)
False reports circulating online claimed FIFA had already ruled in Nigeria’s favour, but NFF Director of Communications Ademola Olajire dismissed them, saying: “There is no decision from FIFA at this time. Any claims that a ruling has been made are false.”
Even if Nigeria wins the case, qualification may not be automatic. FIFA could order further adjustments or additional play-offs involving other nations.
Nigerian and African football, though, continue to wait for FIFA’s independent committees to deliver a final verdict that could either reopen the Super Eagles’ World Cup dream or close the chapter for good.
/https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.afrik-foot.com%2Fen-ng%2F2026%2F02%2Fimago1069300670.jpg)